Chella is a municipality of Valencia, Spain. It belongs to the province of Valencia, in the region Navarrés Canal. It has 2860 inhabitants (INE 2008).
Located in the central part of the county. The term surface is mountainous, with a small flat area in the center. The main point is the third order geodetic vertices of Sotarraña (324 m.), Muntot (417 m.) And Coop (657 m.). The river crosses the term Sellent southeastward. Gullies draining the term of the Turk, Matet, Miguel, Culendra, Abrullador, etc.
You reach this town, from Valencia, through the A-7 taking CV-580.
Chella's municipal borders the towns of Anna, Bolbaite, Cotes, Enguera, Navarrés, Sellent and Sumacárcel, all in the province of Valencia.
Celebrate your festivities in honor of San Blas, on days two, three and four in February. The first day of holiday procession is held in honor of San Fumat procession that begins at dawn when the festival ends and everyone has to go in disguise and a caliqueño (pure area)
Cultural Week celebrations. Are held the first week of August and it made paella contest, musical performances, theater, storytelling, sports competitions, drawing competitions, etc.
Moors and Christians. The weekend after the cultural week will do the deed of Moors and Christians-concentration dinner on Friday night parades and processions by the local people of local false entry on Saturday and Sunday's official entry.
Fallas. There is a flaw in the village and is called, Falla No - Ni - Na, is one of the biggest parties rooted in the town, was founded in the summer of 1982 and planted the first failure in March 1983, held from 15 to March 19.
Specialised in baked rice and "caldós rice", the "casolica of pads", stew and gazpacho manchego. Among the desserts are: the "cakes" of peanuts and oil that are made by San Blas, "Bizcochás", "Rollicos anise", "pastissets of moniato", "pastissets of rosillas", "Cake on llanda", "almendrones "," Rossegones "and All Saints are toñas" Hogassas ".
Chella is a term of great archaeological interest, and is well known thanks to the explorations and investigations. In Wolf Canyon area there are a number of huts (the High of the Shells, the de la Peña Gorda, the Acorn, and Vicente Vaello) in which flint and pottery has been collected showing a long occupation human, from the Mesolithic to the early Metal Age. From Neolithic times, remains known in some huts.
Appeared abundant Iberian period pottery with geometric painted vases and fragments of black varnish on Dryland Altos. Nearby, in a ravine northwest, two slabs that serve as bridge appear to be remnants of the thresholds of a Roman house.
Finally, in the gorge, on a hillside of the Peña del Turco, artificial dens open sixteen apparently the lowest eight meters above the bottom of the ravine, vaulted ceiling enclosures homers, three to five meters wide and four height and whose timing is unknown.
In the Muslim period, Chella was a farmhouse that I donated to Jaime Pere Dovit, but later rejoined the crown. In 1341, the king gave it to Thomas Ulmis, which in 1356 became the Count of Denia and then the Duchy of Gandia. In 1611, Carlos de Borja issued letter of population, after the expulsion of the Moors. Later it belonged to the Marquis of Bélgida. Despite the existence of archaeological remains of an Iberian settlement, located in the drylands of starting up, and a Roman farm house in the current Fulgencio and Muslims remains of dwellings in the caves of the Peña del Turco, Chella the town now has its origin in a Muslim farmhouse, located in the present place of the Old Church, which is still preserved part of the wall of the mosque with a niche with the Virgen de Gracia, patron saint of the town.
In 1244 James I conquered the region and he rebelled against Al-Azraq, the Muslim leader, and with him the inhabitants of Chella. After being defeated were expelled, repopulating the town with Muslims loyal to the king. The population was given in fief successively to Thomas Ulmis, the Count of Denia, Peter Escintelles and first Duke of Gandia (Alfons el Vell), whose death went back to the Crown. During the Moorish Germanías Chella were forced to be baptized and was dismembered Bolbaite parish of Chella. With Carlos de Borja, reverted to the Duke of Gandia and Oliva Counts, and in 1609 Philip III ordered the expulsion of the Moors and Chella was completely abandoned until 1611. It was then granted the charter and new settlers were installed (the Llobregat, Barn, Garcia Esparza, Palop, etc.).
In this century the population grew from the medieval town, the remains of the Moorish castle remain on the high side of the Rock neighborhood today. This development is consolidated in the eighteenth century when the feudal lords are no longer Borja, but the Marquis of Bélgida. In the war of succession Chella will belong to the government of the township will Játiva and Montesa with the neighboring towns of Anna, and Estubeny Enguera. All these people were affected by the earthquake of March 23, 1748, that destroyed the old church of Chella, accelerating the construction of the new (1763) and neoclassical Latin cross with bell tower corners oriented to the cardinal points and retains his first season, María de Gracia, 1789.
In this century experienced economic growth is very important: the transformation of dryland gardening, thanks to the discovery of a new spring (The Abrullador) as Cabanilles review his work. In the nineteenth century, the feudal land disappeared, Chella was established in municipalities with the municipality. In the 1840 census the population Madoz was 1,200 people, with an economy based on the cultivation of wheat, corn, barley and oil production, wine and silk. During the Restoration, the social structure of agriculture was small and medium farmers and laborers, which triggered the chieftaincy. There is a legend, tinged romantic that Chato, real person in the service of despotism, became rodero (bandit) by a broken heart. The phylloxera destroyed the viticulture and wine production. This caused many migrations to Argentina and expansion of olive growing.
From the time of the Republic and the Civil War, the figure of Carlos frabra, Sergeant Republican Fascist aborted uprising in Valencia and, in exile in Paris, helped many families emigrated for economic reasons chellinos to late 50 and 60 of the last century. With the advent of democracy and the return of migrants is improved economy. The population left the agricultural sector for the construction and services. The domestic manufacturing and processing of pure caliqueños formed an underground economy, which employed mostly female labor.
At present, urban development continues from the Paseo through the same growth axes: the streets Higueral, Carlos Fabra, Federico Barn, Blasco Ibáñez, Miguel Hernandez, Peace and Bellver Valeriano and Constitution Avenue, which is no longer urban crossing due to diversion of the road. Bolbaite towards the village has expanded with the industrial, articulated around the streets on May Day, whose voyages are named after the term rural headings. For a decade, the population has increased with the arrival of people mostly from Eastern European countries, North Africa and Britain, which opens a new period of cohabitation.